
While at the Whitworth Gallery this weekend I picked up this postcard as it echoed the work of Arthur Doves Goin' Fishin' 1925 as cited in my previous Approaches to surface post. The use of blue and the folded cloth for me mirrored aspects of Gone fishing. It is a "Sublimation print on reclaimed garment using archival plant material from the National History museum". Named "Found by the sea, almost a salt marsh" by Shelley Goldsmith. Goldsmiths' work was present at the Cloth and Culture Now exhibition but this installation did not appear as it was from an exhibition called "Indelible, Every contact leaves a trace". I am attracted to the idea of finding a piece of Material in a random place, by accident, with no idea of it's past history, who it belonged to, why it was left and bringing new life to it, recycling it and making it belong again. I shall keep my eyes peeled.......
No comments:
Post a Comment