Friday, 27 March 2009

Diane Harrison Designs

This week we were fortunate to visit a working studio titled Diane Harrison (after the founder of the company), in Cheadle, Cheshire, and witness the surface pattern design industry first hand. The studio employs around five designers and a few freelance designers who create a wide range of images for everything from shower curtains to wallpapers.
The studio was fascinating and seeing people at work was very encouraging, in the second year of my degree (I felt encouraged as it gave me a sense of where I was heading, what I could achieve and opened my eyes to the working world of textiles). We arrived at the studio and the first thing I noticed was the relaxed atmosphere creating an ideal working environment. Books and magazines were plentiful, inspiration was at hand on every shelf, and a feeling of calm was in the air as staff busily created. In the studio there were computer stations, and working stations for initial studies, as designers engaged in their secondary research with watercolours and various media.
We were lucky enough to flick through many designs, all varied and showing a wide range of styles and colour palates from geometrics, to florals, and primary coloured themes for children's bedding. This opened my eyes to the variety and diversity within the field. Everyone in the studio had something to give with ranging talents, and as they weren't all sat at computers, but starting with paper designs, this appealed to my taste (This is the way I would rather work, collating information, drawing, painting, compiling sketchbooks and then moving these studies to cad).
In the basement I noticed mood boards and in a working habitat I realised how vital they were to give direction; things clicked into place about how methods at student level relate to the working world. Next time I collate a mood board i shall with much more conviction,after the influence of seeing them used in situ.
During a discussion with Greg Threlwall, the Studio Manager I learnt more about the textile industry and how he runs his studio: Similarly to my methods, the studio do not embellish their works or hand print, all hand work is achieved previous to cad.
Diane Harrison Ltd visits all the Trade shows, Heimtextil, Indigo, Printsource and Surtex in conjunction with independent visits to clients, they have a constant foot in the market as well as a reputation in which customers come to them for commissions.
Greg Threlwalls insight and experience proved invaluable as he shared with us his inspirations, opinions and direction. Greg advised us to all carry a camera, to capture images of anything that appeals and can be used in the future to spark ideas. He told us how sometimes even he with his years of experience can get a creative block and how a simple walk around a shop can be full of ideas for that eureka moment. Self motivation can be found everywhere from Covent Garden London, Oklahoma in Manchester (pictured) and even John Lewis Department store.
The visit left me with an energy and optimism as I look forward to the future and prospects of working happily in an industry that appeals to me more and more each day.



No comments: